Finance & Administrative Associate
The Project for Education Research that Scales (PERTS) is an applied research center in the Psychology Department at Stanford University. We’re a small research group with a start-up mentality and large ambitions for increasing the academic success of students. We study psychological factors that affect student achievement, and we partner with schools, colleges, and other organizations to improve student motivation and achievement on a large scale. PERTS drives higher and more equitable academic engagement in America’s schools and colleges by empowering educators to apply insights and methods from the learning sciences.
We’re looking for a highly motivated Finance & Administrative Associate who enjoys working in a fast-paced and frequently changing environment. This is a full time, 12-month temporary position, with the possibility of continued renewal depending on the needs of the team. Our office is located in San Francisco. This role may allow for some work from home, after the trial period in the role.
The Finance & Administrative Associate responsibilities will vary depending on the needs of the PERTS team but the major duties will include providing vital administrative, financial, and operational support to the Executive Director, leadership team, and staff members. S/he will be responsible for managing all of the financial transactions of the organization and monitoring funding; scheduling events and managing travel; and be the point of contact for team members in administrative issues. S/he will also serve as a liaison for administrative issues with several Stanford departments and many external collaborators. This position will report to the Director of Operations and interface heavily with senior leadership and key partners.
- Submit reimbursements for PERTS employees and verify purchasing card/travel card transactions for multiple team members.
- Set up suppliers and processes invoices for independent consultants and other vendors, including with the San Francisco office space.
- Review monthly expenditure statements, research and resolves discrepancies, and monitor award balances.
- Serve as resource and respond to inquiries about buying and paying policies, travel procedures, contractors, office policies, university policies, etc.
- Create tools and resources that will assist teammates with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Schedule and coordinate logistics for multi-day staff retreats/meetings as well as weekly staff events. Select and communicate with housing, local and domestic transportation, and food vendors.
- Research conferences, convenings, and presentations for key research staff to present at and/or advertise our programs/research and present recommendations to senior staff.
- Prepare agendas and coordinate production of documents for events, presentations, and conferences.
- Create and edit grant proposals, grant reports, research briefs, K-12/higher education program materials, and social media content for multiple audiences.
- Schedule meetings and conference calls for PERTS Executive Director who has an extremely complex schedule with both internal staff and external collaborators.
- Arrange travel for the Executive Director and all members of the PERTS and team.
- Research and/or develop tools to help manage team resources and evaluate the effectiveness of specialized software and accounts that our team uses to make recommendations about usage.
- Lead monthly finance meetings with key leadership team members, sharing information from financial tools created and managed.
- Recruit, post jobs, review applications, and work with HR and senior leadership to bring on student and/or temporary workers as needed throughout the year.
- Exceptional organizational abilities and attention to detail
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer-service orientation
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Desire to give feedback and receive feedback
- Familiarity with and/or a desire to learn a variety of technology tools and software including Google Suite, MS Suite, Adobe, Dropbox, Box
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly and take on a variety of projects with minimal supervision
- Work experience in an education, psychology, and/or nonprofits
- Experience with data collection, entry, and management
- Experience and/or interest in managing social media accounts
- Understanding of basic accounting principles
- Familiarity with data collection and analysis
- Experience writing and/or editing content
- Experience and/or interest using negotiation skills
- Experience with or insight about the challenges faced by students from historically underrepresented minority groups and/or from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds
- Health / Dental / Vision / Life Insurance
- 11 Paid Holidays / 10 paid Vacation Days / 3 Days PTO / Paid Sick Time (Accrual of 8 hours/month)
- $800/year for professional development activities each year
- Matching 403(b) and tuition reimbursement after 1 year
- Many more! For information about other benefits, visit the Stanford benefits page.
*Applications without cover letters will not be considered*